Nanaimo Volunteer fire department 1894
In 1890, the community launched a campaign to build a fire house. Leveraging donated land and materials, the Nanaimo Volunteer Fire Department’s station was constructed on the corner of Wharf and Front Streets, complete with a fire engine bought from the City of Portland and a 500’ hose, that cost a staggering $250.
The first battalion consisted of 30 volunteers from the local community, all of whom lived in the immediate area surrounding the station.
In 1894, a fire at the Royal Hotel quickly spread to the fire station, burning it to the ground. Shortly after a new station was constructed on Nicol Street, which still stands today.