Nanaimo Our History

June 3rd, 2016

1928 – Derailment at Reserve Mine

The Reserve Mine opened in Nanaimo in 1912, during a particular contentious period between union members and owners. Just three years later, a sulphur fume explosion at the mine would kill 26 workers.

Reserve stayed in heavy use for the next decade-plus, until 1928 when a train carrying coal from the mine derailed and crashed, killing many people. (from the collection of the Nanaimo Museum)

Sign-up for Our Exclusive Newsletter