BLOG

Nanaimo’s Summer Playground – 1939

March 30th, 2017
single-blog-slider-image1

The waterfront area of Departure Bay by the early 1920s, became a popular recreational site for swimmers, campers, cottagers, and boaters. Causing the surrounding areas to expand. Today, only a few modest buildings remain as evidence of the area’s earlier “cottage country” character. The Kin Hut was built as a Centennial Project in 1967, which was originally designed as a change house for swimmers. The present day seawall and promenade where both built in the 1969. Today, the beachfront and adjacent foreshore area is a provincially designated archaeological site. The park complete with a grassy area, picnic tables and benches overlook both the beach and playground and is still a popular destination for Nanaimo beach goers. (from the Collection of the Nanaimo Archives)

Sign-up for Our Exclusive Newsletter