BLOG

Nanaimo Our History

March 4th, 2016
single-blog-slider-image1

1855- 1867

Long known as “The Harbour City,” this Nanaimo wharf was a common sight in the 19th century. Sitting on Fort Street with Trench Hotel on the left, this image highlights some of the earliest community planning in Nanaimo. During this period, streets were designed to begin at the shoreline and fan out “like the spokes of a wagon wheel.” This distinction also earned the city another popular nickname: Hub City.

Sign-up for Our Exclusive Newsletter