BLOG

Military Battery 1890

September 23rd, 2016
single-blog-slider-image1

In 1878 the first coast artillery batteries were emplaced, and Gallows Point was selected by military authorities as site for Nanaimo Battery to protect harbor from invasion. The “C” Battery primary task was to train the local militia, but low pay, lack of pensions and the wealth of higher paying job opportunities caused few men to reenlisted following completion of their first three years of service. The “C” battery also assisting the civil power to maintain law and order. They where sent in 1890 to the coal workers strike in Wellington . (from the collection of the Nanaimo Museum)

Sign-up for Our Exclusive Newsletter